Dentistry and cosmetology instead of plastic surgery
The face is the first thing people pay attention to when they meet or meet. It is not surprising that many are preoccupied with their appearance and are not always happy with it, especially with age. At such moments, people begin to think first of all about a visit to a plastic surgeon or cosmetologist. However, they don’t even imagine that many problems are related to teeth and a professional dentist can help them fix them.
About what cosmetic problems modern dentistry can solve, tell the deputy general director of the Easy Breath Beauty and Health Clinic, a full member of the Israeli Dental Association, doctor of medicine Dmitry Yevnin and the head doctor of the Easy Breath health and beauty clinic, a cosmetologist, Dermatologist, full member of the Association of Aesthetic Medicine Specialists in Russia, member of the World Society of Interdisciplinary Age Medicine Natalia Aleksandrovna Rudyka.
How does the condition of the dentition affect the appearance?
– Firstly, this is of course the kind of teeth themselves – their shape, size, color and location. Secondly, with the loss of teeth, the bone tissue of the jaws begins to atrophy. As a result of this, the support of the lips and cheeks is lost – they begin to sag, the nasolabial folds deepen, the corners of the mouth sag. The oval of the face and the profile as a whole change – the face becomes flatter.
– It should be remembered that the described changes appear not only with dental diseases – they can be the result of unprofessional dental treatment. For example, improperly made removable dentures create the feeling that outwardly a person has practically no upper lip. The reason is not that it is not actually there, but that the prosthesis was made without regard to cosmetic factors. Errors in bite registration, its underestimation at the stages of prosthetics emphasize nasolabial folds and provoke the lowering of the corners of the mouth. And there are many such examples.
Can we always independently pay attention to the existing aesthetic problems?
– This is a more complicated question than it seems at first glance. It is necessary that a person learns to look at himself from the side, noting any changes in appearance. When a person and others see him daily, they cannot objectively evaluate changes that occur, for example, with a smile. Often the dentist, to whom a person comes for a consultation, is the first to pay attention to this.
“Recently, there has been a significant case in my practice,” says Dmitry Evnin. – A young girl came to the consultation complaining of a toothache. During the conversation, I did not immediately understand what was embarrassing in her face, but looking closely, I saw that the line of her smile was very slanted. As a result, teeth were visible only on one side, which violates the harmony of the face. To my question, does she see anything unusual in her smile, the answer was – categorical no. After my explanations, picking up a mirror, she noticed the existing disharmony, and the next question was – how and how quickly can this be fixed? What is the reason? When carrying out all the necessary studies, it turned out that the patient has a congenital absence of one of the teeth. For many years, none of the relatives did not pay attention to this. Orthodontic treatment and installation of veneer will completely solve the problem.
– In practice, it often turns out that violation of ideal facial proportions, omission of soft tissues, changes in facial contours, pronounced nasolabial folds, lowered corners of the mouth, the so-called “wrinkles of sorrow” are associated not only with age-related changes, but also with dental problems: tooth loss, resorption (“resorption”) of bone tissue, violation of the height and volume of the upper and lower jaw, increased tonus of chewing muscles. In this case, only the union of the cosmetologist and dentist will help to create a harmonious, proportional and beautiful face.
What methods can be used to resolve such problems?
– Depending on each specific case, almost the entire arsenal of modern dentistry and medical cosmetology can be used. Before starting treatment, a comprehensive examination is carried out – not only the examination of the teeth and x-rays, but also the assessment of the face as a whole. A special photo shoot is held. In cases of tooth loss, patients are asked to bring their photographs at an earlier age. On a plaster model or on a computer, the result of future work is simulated. Then, together with the patient, the optimal correction method is selected.
– Very often, aggressive dental intervention (many crowns, bridges) is simply not necessary – just installing several veneers or other targeted interventions to achieve the desired result. Of course, there are complex cases in which the installation of implants and bone growth are necessary.
If people are not used to objectively assessing their appearance, how can you understand that it is time to go to the dentist?