A smile, like in a movie! Veneers
But did you know that all Hollywood smiles were made not in movie studios, but in a dental chair? Moreover, the veneers were invented by a dentist from Hollywood specifically for the movie. Initially, they were made of plastic and worn specifically for filming. And only the latest technology allowed to create ceramic veneers and stick them on composite cements for many years. We talked about one of the latest achievements of modern dental science with the head physician of the Vid dental clinic Irina Strukova.
– Irina Albertovna, tell us about what veneers are?
– Veneers are the thinnest ceramic facing plates (the thickness of a piece of thick paper) that are attached to the front of the front teeth with the help of special cement. Veneers are commonly used to improve the appearance of teeth that are partially discolored, frayed, chipped, or in the wrong position.
– Thin – means fragile?
– Rather, the opposite. Due to the high strength of the material, their service life is at least 20 years. In addition, veneers are glued using a particularly strong and insoluble bond in saliva, which additionally ensures the strength of the connection between the tooth and the veneer. This bond contains a record amount of fluoride. Therefore, the enamel under the veneers not only does not suffer, but also hardens. The smile improved by the new technology is able to serve a person all his life, but even if there is a desire to remove these structures, then using a special tool you can do this without the slightest damage to the “native” teeth.
– Is it possible to hide tooth color defects using veneers? After all, it is known that depulled teeth (devoid of a nerve) change their color, and sometimes look very dark?
– Veneers have a different degree of transparency (opacity) – 0%, 25%, 50% and 100%. If the tooth is very dark, 100% opacity veneer is selected. Due to this, even with a small thickness of the facing plate, it is possible to achieve masking of such a defect. In addition, the bonds on which veneers are fixed have different light-conducting properties. If necessary, hide dark spots and streaks on the enamel or change the initial color of the teeth, opaque bonds are used today – they also help to overcome the discolor.
– Is it possible to put veneers on teeth that have lost integrity?
– If there is a chip on the cutting edge or abrasion of the enamel, then these defects can be easily repaired with veneers, but if the teeth are badly damaged, they must first be repaired with composite materials, and only then covered with veneers. In principle, you can do without the installation of facing ceramics, as modern composites do a good job of restoring teeth. But, unfortunately, even the highest quality filling materials have a number of disadvantages. They absorb moisture and food coloring, do not have sufficient strength, therefore, teeth restored with their help need regular correction and polishing. And when setting up veneers, correction is not needed, since porcelain is strong enough and retains its aesthetic properties, does not stain and does not darken. The veneer allows you to save not only the tooth, but also the restorations contained in it, since it, like the second enamel, covers the tooth with a porcelain shirt.
“Can irregular teeth be corrected with veneers?”
– Veneers can remove the gap between the teeth, visually correct the incorrect position of the tooth (push it forward). The fact is that veneers do not have a standard shape, but can be made of different thicknesses, depending on the desired shape of the patient’s teeth. For example, the thinnest veneer (0.2-0.3 mm) is installed on the protruding tooth, and a thicker plate is glued to the one that has gone deep. Thus, a complete illusion of perfectly straight teeth is created. The effect will be comparable to the result of a long orthodontic treatment. In addition, with the help of veneers, you can change the shape of the teeth (for example, make them wider or longer). By the way, as a rule, lengthening of teeth by 05-1 mm makes a person younger by at least 5 years.
The use of veneers in dentistry allows to achieve a higher cosmetic effect for various defects in the surface and color of the teeth, especially:
gaps between teeth
old fillings that differ in color from a normal tooth
when changing the color of the teeth
consequences of injuries or root canal treatment